Protect Your Health: Test Your Drinking Water for Contaminants!

drinking water, water qualityWater!  It comprises more than 70% of an adult’s human body and nearly 80% of an infants’.  You need it to live, and in fact, can’t live without it for more than a week whereas you can live without food for a month.

Hopefully, if you’re healthy – and you wish to remain that way – you’re drinking over 2 liters of water per day.  But do you know what type of contaminants, if any, may be lurking within that water?

Understanding Your Water Quality

In Phoenix more than 1.5 million people, within a 540 square-mile radius, are supplied with drinking water from the city itself.  Of which, approximately 95% comes from area lakes and rivers, and the other 5% from groundwater.

All water prior to being delivered to residents goes through a mandated 4-step water treatment process.  A process that has been designed to ensure the highest quality drinking water!  This process includes:

Step 1 – Screening and Presedimentation

Step 2 – Coagulation, Flocculation and Sedimentation

Step 3 – Filtration

Step 4 – Disinfection

But is it safe?  The City of Phoenix, per the regulations of the Environmental Protection Agency and the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, currently tests their water for more than 100 various contaminants.

But is it safe?  YES!  In fact, each May, the City of Phoenix posts to the web a Water Quality Report that contains pertinent information regarding just how safe your drinking water really is.

Still Suspect Unsafe Drinking Water?

If you suspect your drinking water is unsafe to consume – whether you’re having issues with its taste, odor, color or hardiness – you have several options that are fairly easy and inexpensive to do.

The easiest of which is to have your drinking water, regardless of where it came from, tested for specific contaminants.  Specifically those that have the potential to adversely affect your health including the following contaminates’:

  • Disease Causing Bacteria
  • Iron
  • Manganese
  • Hydrogen Sulphide
  • Lead

You can do this by having a professional plumber test the water for you or purchasing a cheap do-it-yourself water quality test kit at your local home improvement store.  You can also opt to purchase a water filter that attaches directly to your kitchen faucet.

Leave a Reply