Posts Tagged ‘inspection’

Check Your Heating & Cooling Today

Wednesday, February 2nd, 2011

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) – Twenty-eight people, including many children, got carbon monoxide poisoning Saturday because of a gas leak at a Flagstaff church lodge.

Flagstaff fire Battalion Chief Bob Orrill says firefighters were called to the lodge at about 8:30 a.m. and found that 28 people were experiencing symptoms including nausea, dizziness, headaches and stomach aches.

He says many of them were younger than 16.

Flagstaff Medical Center spokeswoman Starla Collins says no one has had to be admitted to the hospital and that it appears everyone will be fine.

Orrill says the problem likely was caused after someone at the lodge cranked up the heater to 90 degrees, causing it to run all night, and that the heater had dirty air filters that were choking the system.

A furnace filter is crucial to the operation of any heating system. It traps most airborne debris while allowing a continual airflow that moves heated air through the house. A variety of furnace filter problems are possible unless the homeowner properly maintains the system.

Almost all types of appliances can cause hazards, but those such as oil furnaces that burn fuel for heating and cooking can be especially dangerous to your health. Most oil furnaces are safe, but sometimes they can produce gases that can be dangerous and even fatal. Oil furnaces can be a source of carbon monoxide gas. Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and deadly poisonous.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, more than 200 deaths occur annually in the United States because of pollutants from indoor combustion devices. Carbon monoxide is invisible and has no odor. An entire family can be poisoned by CO without being aware of its presence.

Carbon monoxide reduces the ability of blood to carry oxygen. Red blood cells absorb CO faster than they do oxygen, so CO can replace oxygen in the red blood cells, preventing oxygen from reaching body tissues and thus damaging the tissues.

Breathing high doses of carbon monoxide can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, fatigue, nausea, a gagging sensation, vomiting, chest pain, loss of consciousness and, finally, death. CO poisoning can affect both people and animals. Infants and people with cardiac, respiratory or blood disorders are most susceptible.

Don’t Let This Happen To You

Contact A-Peoria Today!

623-979-7223

14 point inspection

Tuesday, November 30th, 2010

get your 14 point inspection at a discount special pricing contact us today for just $39

Contact us today